What has not been in vain. We want a World where our planet and all the beings that inhabit it are taken care of to stop the climate emergency.
In this publication there are 30 voices wondering about 19 fundamental issues and what the "new normal" will be like
- The redistribution of wealth and resources will be more central in our lives and societies
- Will we recover the sense of the public as a collective?
- Will we place the fight against poverty in a sustainable world as a priority?
- Are we willing to share power and privilege as necessary to end poverty systemically?
A few months ago we did not know the word "coronavirus". Today we know that we will never forget it. This pandemic has hit many countries hard, it will sink economies and its effects will be felt for years to come. As we are not experts (or politicians, or socialists ...) we do not know if it was coming or if
dozens of countries have hit / miss in their forecasts. The reality is that, when the time comes to confront it, the governments of the world have evidently preferred to completely paralyze economic activity in order to protect the health of their citizens.
As a consequence of this crisis, it is estimated that by 2020 7% less CO2 will be emitted worldwide. It is the largest decline in history; more than during the Great Depression of 29 or World War II. Even so, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has hardly noticed it. CO2 is not like
Pollutants from our cities that are now clean, do not disappear from the atmosphere by stopping emitting it, but remains for years. Long-term changes are needed, defined without haste and applied with determination. They have been warning us about this crisis for decades and we know that it will not be resolved in a few weeks.
Apparently, in case of extreme need, we are ready to do anything to preserve our health but ... how do you explain the lack of action on the climate crisis? Now that we have seen that we know how to manage a crisis, that emergency measures work and that citizens are perfectly capable of pitching in, it is time to treat each crisis as such. Is he
time to take advantage of what has been learned and experienced these weeks to prepare the response to the climate crisis. Before it is too late.
1.- Poverty and Inequality (Chema Vera)
2.- Climate Emergency (Eloy Sanz / Irene Rubiera)
3.- Feminism (Pepa Moleón)
4.- Migrant People (Sani Ladan)
5.- Racism (Lucía Mbomio / Moha Gerehou)
6.- Economy (Genoveva López)
7.- Food Systems (Arturo Angulo)
8.- Technology and IV Industrial Revolution (Paz Serra Portilla)
9.- New Energy Model (E.García-Calderón / R.Irurzun)
10.- Decent Employment
11.- Global Health (Eva Iráizoz / Elena Marbán)
12.- Education (Sergio Calleja)
13.- Culture (Alma Guerra / Paloma Linés)
14.- Human Rights (Violeta Assiego)
15.- Exclusion (Daniel García / María Villarta)
16.- Real Democracy (CIECODE - Political Watch)
17.- International Relations (Jesús A. Núñez Villaverde)
18.- Global Fraternity (M. Á.Vázquez / P. Rosado / A. Warleta)
Some of the questions to rethink another possible world:
Questions about the Climate Emergency:
- Will our governments ever be as responsible for the climate crisis as they have been for COVID-19?
- Are we aware that when a big problem arrives it affects us all even if we had not foreseen it?
- During the quarantine we have made a great effort to change habits. Are we willing to make any changes in the future?
- If we have answered "Yes" to the previous question, concrete commitments are needed in all aspects of our lives. To what extent will we get involved in the following ?: Abandonment of the car compared to other more sustainable alternatives, investment of savings in ethical banking, commitment to renewable energies (collective investment, self-consumption in homes, etc.), food changes favoring products vegetables and local, decrease, changes in consumption habits ...
- Pollution in cities is another great environmental challenge. In this case, we have seen it temporarily mitigated by the absence of traffic. Will we allow cities to fill up with cars and pollution again?
- Are we going to do something to make all of the above happen or will we wait sitting on the couch?
Full file to download here