Sugaring or sugar waxing is a simple method that you can do at home, ideal for pulling out short hair. It is less painful than conventional wax and very durable.
An alternative to traditional waxing, creams or machine is the ancient sugar waxing.
You only need sugar and lemon, so you can prepare this mixture at home and in a very simple way.
What is hair removal with sugar or "Sugaring"?
Sugar waxing is a method that has its origin in the Middle East for thousands of years.
The method is similar to wax, but it has even more advantages.
What do we need?
The only ingredients you need are:
- 2 cups of sugar
- The juice of 1 yellow lemon
- Water (we only need it in case the lemon juice is not enough)
How do we prepare the mixture?
- We will put the juice of a lemon and the two cups of sugar in a saucepan or medium pot.
- The juice must completely cover the powder, otherwise we will have to add a little water until it covers it.
- We will heat this mixture over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar has completely dissolved. If we have a kitchen thermometer we can check that the mixture reaches 115 degrees Celsius.
- When it starts to boil, we will lower the heat quite a bit and wait for a thicker and stickier but more manageable paste to be made, with a soft golden color, like honey. If it has a dark color, it may have burned us and we will have to do it again. In no case will we let it boil over high heat for more than a minute.
- We will remove from the heat and let it cool.
- We already have our sugar wax ready.
How do we apply it?
Optionally, we can perform an exfoliation before waxing, although this is not recommended if we have very sensitive skin.
On the other hand, so that the sugar wax does not adhere too much to the skin we can put a little talcum powder in the area to be waxed.
- We will clean and dry the area that we are going to wax well so that the sugar wax does not have problems sticking.
- We will wash our hands well and, optionally, we will smear them with a little oil.
- We will take a little wax and smear it in the opposite direction to hair growth. For example, if we apply it on the legs, as the hair grows from the top down, the wax will be applied from the bottom up.
- If we notice that the wax is very thick, this is the time to heat it up a bit.
- We will distribute the wax well so that it is a thin layer and without waiting, we will pull it in the opposite direction, that is, in the direction of hair growth (if we do the legs it will be from top to bottom).
- It will help us to tighten the skin a little with the help of the other hand.
- Next, we will spread the same paste, which peels off easily, in another area and repeat the process.
- At the end, we will apply a little moisturizer or aloe vera gel to calm the skin. If there are remains of the wax, we will wash with warm water.
Advantages of sugar hair removal
- It is economical, since we only need sugar and lemon.
- As durable as wax.
- It is less painful than wax.
- It also works for very short hair.
- It is used at room temperature.
- It also helps us to eliminate dead skin cells and enhance their regeneration.
- It does not contain artificial substances.
- It can be used anywhere on the body.
- It can be done at home.